28 - High Intensity Interval Training with Paul Laursen
Sport physiologist, coach, and co-author of the comprehensive HIIT Science book Paul Laursen is on the show this week to talk about the role and and mechanics of high intensity work in endurance training.
- 7:00 what is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- 13:00 how does Paul design workouts to improve aerobic capacity (VO2max)
- 14:45 HIIT short intervals vs. HIIT long intervals
- 17:00 field testing for power at VO2max:
- 4’ MMP on the bike
- 5’ MMPace running
- 21:30 Utility of HIIT short intervals (ML’s personal go-to) vs HIIT long
- 25:00 the role of myoglobin in short intervals and how this style of training does not have a high glycolytic component
- 30:15 what about long slow distance?
- 34:00 the two most predictive markers of success in Ironman racing: VO2max + fat oxidation rate
- 35:00 role of SIT (Sprint Interval Training) in endurance athletics
- 41:30 let’s talk about glycolytic capacity aka W’
Keep up with Paul on Twitter and Instagram @PaulBLaursen and at his website. To learn more about his book and course with Martin Bucheit, check out the HIIT Science site.