47 - Master Wheel Builder Corey Mihailiuk
Wheel know-it-all Corey Mahailiuk of Cognoscenti Cycles is on this week to talk about wheels, the bits that make up wheels - that you didn't know mattered - and where wheel technology is headed.
- 3:00 rim vs disk?
- Corey’s take is that the emergence of disk brakes is the safety in pro racing when descending at high speed rather than improvement in braking quality.
- He prefers disk on his own bikes.
- He recommends disk brakes for any new builds because that’s where the industry is headed and no new research is being done in rim braking: brakes, frames, or wheels.
- Disk brake safety
- A discussion of braking performance
- 22:45 the alloy rim is not dead: <32mm depth rims can be made very well with aluminum
- 29:15 aero isn’t everything!?
- 31:00 wheel spoke count considerations based on rider weight
- 32:30 the tools of the wheelbuilding trade
- 34:00 factory-built wheels vs custom, wheelbuilder wheels. Advantages of custom-built wheels are
- Build quality
- Customized for you
- 46:00 don’t skimp on spokes
- +1 for Sapim CX-Ray
- Bladed spokes for lateral wheel stiffness
- 51:00 wheel hubs: are premium hubs worth the cost?
- Lifetime warranty
- Unique designs
- 58:00 the value of ceramic bearings: placebo?
- 1:03:45 what’s next in wheel technology?
- Rims designed by AI
- Filament-wound wheels
Learn more about Corey and Cognoscenti at his website and follow him on Instagram.