Allan Hovda 2.0
Allan Hovda returns after an epic finish at Norseman Xtri and a big win at Lofoten to tell the tale. We cover his nutrition, bike position, hot-weather adaptations, and race-day mindset.
- 1:15 Allan’s Norseman Xtri-specific preparation and changes to his plan for an atypically warm race
- 7:30 Allan as guinea pig: participating in a study on physiological effects of an extreme full distance triathlon
- 12:00 the optimal placement of ice for cooling
- 12:30 Allan’s revised hydration and sodium strategy and why he stepped away from the ‘drink to thirst’ strategy for this year’s race
- 20:30 Allan’s bike nutrition strategy
- 26:30 the case for a race-course U-turn
- 31:00 Allan’s run nutrition
- 37:30 Allan’s race day
- 40:45 how relaxed do you want to be to start a race
- 43:00 Allan’s mental game
- 49:45 The bike position, the super-tuck, and aerodynamics
- 52:00 The run and the closest finish in Norseman XTRI history
- 54:30 The satisfaction of giving everything
- 1:01:30 What’s next for Allen?
Endurance Innovation on training and racing in the heat
That Triathlon Show interview with Andy Blow
Allan's Noreseman race report
Allan's tips for riding faster for free with no training!
Keep up with us at 4iiii, and X3. If you like the show, rate and review us on iTunes and tell your friends!