Andrew and Michael discuss the components of metabolism and its role in endurance performance
- 2:15 Metabolism defined
- 3:30 The metabolic poles in the animal kingdom
- 6:45 ATP defined
- 8:00 the first – most rapid – energy system: Creatine Phosphate
- 13:30 the second – intermediate – energy system: Glycolysis
- 16:45 the third – and longest duration – energy system: Aerobic
- 18:15 carbs and fats for fuel in the aerobic metabolism
- 20:00 endogenous fat is essentially a limitless reserve of metabolic energy
- 22:00 just how important is your aerobic metabolism?
- 23:30 carbs and fats for fuel in the aerobic metabolism
- 25:00 How Michael REALLY feels about ketogenic diets for endurance performance
- 30:45 A real example of how important fat utilization – or the dominance of the aeropbic over the glycolytic system - is for long course racing
- 39:00 One way to train that aerobic metabolism
- 42:20 Egos don’t win races
- 42:30 Metabolism isn’t everything
If you're at Eurobike in Friedrichshafen in early September, come say hi to Andrew at the 4iiii booth there.
Keep up with us at STAC, 4iiii, and X3. If you like the show, rate and review us on iTunes and tell your friends!