Nutrition 101 with Tara Postnikoff
Michael welcomes fellow Toronto-based triathlon coach and sports nutritionist Tara Postnikoff for chat about practical, every-day nutrition advice for endurance athletes.
- 3:00 your daily nutrition and what you may want to add to your current routine.
- Add vegetables: 7-10 cups per day
- Add protein in divided doses: 0.8g – 1.4g of protein per kg of LEAN body mass. Which works out to be 1.0g – 1.7g per kg of TOTAL body mass for someone with a body fat percentage of 15. I (ML) have heard of higher numbers myself, in the range of 1.2g – 2.0g / kg of total body mass.
- 12:00 on protein sources
- 16:00 high protein breakfast options
- 17:00 water: 2-3L / day PLUS exercise requirements
- 24:30 carbs or fat?
- 30:30 on carb periodization: keep it simple!
- 34:30 what about fruit?
- 36:00 avoid fruit juice and dried fruit (outside of training)
- 38:00 nutrition to support training
- 39:30 – easy / recovery workouts: hydrate and fuel lightly if possible
- 42:00 – intense workouts / tests: proactively fuel with carbs
- 45:00 – long, endurance workouts: pre-fuel with carbs, water, carbs, sodium during
- 51:45 sources of carbs during training
- 56:00 sodium: useful for 3+ hour efforts
- Large individual variability in sweat salt content: 500mg/L to 2000mg/L
- 59:15 sweat concentration testing
- 1:00:00 sweat rate testing
- 1:02:15 post workout window 30-120 minutes, prioritize quality of nutrition
- Replenish glycogen
- Help repair with protein: 15-30g
- 1:05:45 genetic testing
Learn more about Tara and HEAL at her website and follow her on Facebook and Instagram.
For info on her training camp in Palm Springs, check out the event link.
Keep up with us at 4iiii, and X3. If you like the show, rate and review us on iTunes and tell your friends!