Michael speaks with Sebastian Weber of INSCYD about his journey through academia and coaching, the role of both the aerobic and anaerobic metabolism pathways in sport, and how you can replace lab testing with field testing and computing power.
- 1:10 meet Sebastian Weber
- 2:25 the history of glycolytic testing and its adoption in pro cycling
- 5:55 the days of (fitness) testing past
- 15:10 why absolute accuracy in Anaerobic Threshold / FTP /CP values is NOT IMPORTANT
- 15:55 the composition of power production
- 19:10 ‘Power output tells you how you ARE training. It does not tell you HOW TO train.’
- 22:30 the importance of the anaerobic or glycolytic metabolism in endurance sport
- 26:45 calculating the maximum glycolytic output: VLAmax
- 29:00 the role of the Creatine Phosphate energy system and why it is relatively unimportant in endurance sport
- 32:50 the role of the glycolytic system in very long endurance events
- 37:40 a history of INSCYD and how algorithms and smart testing can replace the performance lab
- 44:25 INSCYD critical power testing for runners coming soon!
- 45:40 putting the data to use: a case for an Ironman athlete
- 50:20 race pacing and nutrition plans with INSCYD
To learn more about INSCYD, check out their website, white papers, or blog. Or send X3 Training a note - Michael is an INSCYD certified coach.
Keep up with us at STAC, 4iiii, and X3. If you like the show, rate and review us on iTunes and tell your friends!