Nic van Beurden and Phil White, founders of Canadian wheel startup SOR Cycles, are on this week to walk us through their revolutionary wheel design, the process of continuous prototyping and testing, and the challenges facing a hardware startup in the age of COVID.
Endurance Innovation is now on Patreon! Have a peek at our page and show us some love.
- 2:30 the why of creating the revolutionary SOR disk wheel
- 6:45 Nic’s prior work in composites
- 9:00 the birth of Sor Cycles
- 11:00 Nic’s design criteria for the wheel
- 15:00 what makes someone like Phil White notice?
- 19:30 the SOR disk wheel described
- 25:15 wind tunnel data for the SOR wheel
- 28:00 how much less side load does the SOR wheel experience?
- 30:00 the principal mechanism of action of the wheel
- 35:45 what was it like for Phil to step back to the startup phase
- 38:15 manufacturing in the age of COVID
- 45:00 when can I buy one?
- 49:30 the path ahead
Check out the SOR Cycles website and subscribe to their mailing list, and follow their progress on Instagram.